In the past, customers invested in high cost, long service-life products. Today, they demand complex product-services capable of adapting to new customer goals and rapidly changing markets. The Use-it-wisely project will enable European manufacturers to operate successfully within this new paradigm. The project will investigate a new business model that implements continuous product-service adaptation through a sequence of small innovative steps. It will demonstrate that product-service agility and extended service life realized in this way is more viable than large and infrequent upgrades in terms of cost, duration and environmental impact. Use-it-wisely will develop and demonstrate the adaptation platform consisting of the following three elements:
- multi-disciplinary actors-product-service system model;
- adaptation mechanism based on the knowledge and skills of all actors involved with the system;
- interactive collaborative distributed environment, where the actors work out the adaptation steps.
The scientific breakthrough will be achieved by creating and validating a holistic systems engineering structure that combines human-machine systems, product lifecycle management, business and organizational dynamics and lifecycle assessment.
The industry-led consortium is founded on complementary clusters in six key industry sectors:
- office workplace
- ship building
Use-it-wisely will enable new business for the manufacturers and their suppliers, subcontractors and open new opportunities for the customers. It will increase their competitive advantage by means of product-service agility, lower costs, shorter lead times, and reduced environmental impact.
Finally, it will help to transform people’s knowledge and skills into product-service value thus strengthening Europe’s global competitiveness and securing domestic employment.
With Use-it-wisely, the more the product-service is used, the better it gets.
Project coordinator is VTT Research Center of Finland.
Other partners in the project are:
- TECNATOM S.A. (Spain)
- UNIVERSIDAD DE MALAGA (Spain)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM (United Kingdom)
- METSO MINERALS OY (Finland)
- RD VELHO OY (Finland)
- THALES ALENIA SPACE ITALIA SPA (Italy)
- ADVANCED LOGISTICS TECHNOLOGY ENGINEERING CENTER SPA (Italy)
- VOLVO TECHNOLOGY AB (Sweden)
- CHALMERS TEKNISKA HOEGSKOLA AB (Sweden)
- M. MOSCHATOS – K. STRATIS OE (Greece)
- INTERNATIONAL NAVAL SURVEYS BUREAU (Greece)
- NAYTILIAKES METAFORIKES KAI EPIKOINONIAKES EPIXEIRISEIS SEABILITY ETAIREIA PERIORISMENIS EUTHINIS (Greece)
- INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS (Greece)
- NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK – TNO (Netherlands)
- GISPEN INTERNATIONAL BV (Netherlands)
- BERNER FACHHOCHSCHULE (Switzerland)
- C.C.I.C.C. LIMITED (Ireland)
- Hermia Business Development Ltd (Finland)
Project will last just over 3 years.